Wednesday, August 31, 2011

The Blue Star Service Flag

Tonight I thought I'd share the history of the Blue Star Service Flag. In 1917, Army Captain Robert Queissner wanted to make a simple flag that signified his two sons' service in World War I. Only three days later, the American War Mothers organization formed and began displaying Captain Queissner's flag in their windows. Sometimes the flag may have two or three stars signifying two or three children serving in the military. Because so many military lives were lost in World War I, a new flag was developed. Mothers who had lost their son in World War I began sewing a gold star over the blue star. The flag symbolized pride, love, and hope and became very popular during World War II. It returned to popularity during the Gulf War.

Before you start feeling patriotic and go out and buy a flag, know there are regulations for displaying the flag. For instance, only immediate family members (wife, husband, mother, father, stepparent, children, brothers, and sisters) of an active duty service man or woman may fly this flag.

This morning I proudly hung my Blue Star Service Flag.

No comments:

Post a Comment